NJTIP @ Rutgers, part of the Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, seeks qualified candidates for Program Coordinator 1 – Travel Instructor positions. NJTIP @ Rutgers teaches people how to travel safely and independently using public transportation in New Jersey. NJTIP Travel Instructors teach people with disabilities, older adults, and others how to use accessible buses, trains, light rail, community transportation and ride-share systems, both individually and in group settings. Training is provided both online and, in the field on transit across New Jersey.
Key duties for this position include:
- Organizes, coordinates and delivers multiple facets of programs and projects related to travel training and instruction for people with disabilities and older adults.
- Assists with online and on-site training and evaluations of programs and services, assesses trainee needs and progress, and prepares appropriate recommendations.
- Serves as liaison with various public and private institutions and agencies.
- Work is consistent with an understanding of the mission, vision, role, and goals of the New Jersey Travel Independence Program (NJTIP@ Rutgers) and the Voorhees Transportation Center.
- Applicants should possess a Bachelor’s degree and experience in a related field, such as social service, special education, teaching, training, or advocacy positions.
- Commitment to advocating for the rights of individuals with disabilities; an enthusiastic belief in the power of accessible public transportation to increase independence and self-sufficiency.
- Basic knowledge of The Americans with Disability Act (ADA), the needs of individuals with disabilities and older adults, and some transit experience.
- Ability to work independently, and with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong communication skills and computer literacy
- Valid driver’s license and access to an automobile
Salary will be competitive, and commensurate with experience within university guidelines. Interested candidates should apply via the internet through the Rutgers University office of human resources at the following link: https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/205972
Rutgers is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
About VTC: The Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center at Rutgers University (RU-VTC) is a national leader in the research and development of innovative transportation policy. Established in 1998, RU-VTC is one of several research centers within the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy. The center specializes in identifying and exploring linkages between transportation and other public policy areas, such as economic development, land use, political governance, finance and social policy. The center has an annual operating and research budget of approximately $4 million. Additional information on VTC can be found here: http://vtc.rutgers.edu/.