Review of the New Jersey Safe Routes to School Program: Services, Training, Coordination, Research and Technical Assistance Update Report
NJ SRTS Resource Center is a partnership between the Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center and the NJ Department of Transportation has continued and was expanded to include all eight of NJ’s Transportation Management Associations (TMAs). Through the TMAs, SRTS Regional Coordinators who provide technical assistance to schools and municipalities across the state help with walk and bike to school events, education and encouragement activities.
December 2013 marks the middle of the third full year of the enhanced non-infrastructure program housed at the NJSRTS RC. The program has continued to grow and developed during its third year. Throughout the life of the program, the TMAs have significantly increased outreach levels across the state and continue to make strides in outreach and project implementation as reflected in this update report.
Included in this project update report are:
- A summary of assistance provided by NJSRTS RC to support regional TMAs,
- An overview of Walk and Bike to School Month activities from TMAs,
- An update on research performed relevant to NJSRTS,
- A synopsis of initial performance measures to be tracked by NJSRTS RC, and
- Outreach Progress Reports—compiled data from the TMAs’ Record of Contact forms which show their outreach and programming efforts in schools, municipalities, school districts, and counties and reflect their progress over time.